May 1, 2021
Introduction: Pedro Angulo is the Head of
Leadership Development at AIB where he leads the design &
implementation of enterprise wide Leadership Development
initiatives. He is also a Program Director of the Diploma in
Strategic HRM for the Irish Management Institute, Board Member of
Green Sod Ireland and Past President and Chairman of the EMCC in
Ireland. A graduate from Minnesota State University (USA) and
holder of an MBS in Management and Organisational Studies from
University College Dublin. He is a prolific writer and much
sought-after motivational speaker.
Podcast episode Summary: How to put attention
on the Team as an important if not the most important unit of
currency in Organisational Life. This episode speaks to the
organisational lag in recognising the need to put attention on team
life and teaming skills. Too often organisations assume you can put
a bunch of talented people together and they will become a team,
the reality is often very different. Listen to the many tips Pedro
litters throughout this episode, emphasising attention, energy,
clarity and measurement.
Points made throughout the Episode:
- Pedro opens the conversation by sharing his “Why” He is
passionate about people and genuinely interested in helping people
be at their best
- He immediately illuminates the gaps that exist with respect to
teams and teaming in organisations of which he is apart
- Little real attention given to team effectiveness. Much is
spent of team development and confusion exists about what it takes
to make teams great.
- Organisations tend to invest at the Individual level and on the
enterprise level but pay scant attention to teams.
- They often assume that by putting bright people together they
will work it out. Invariably that is not the case and the result is
- Team effectiveness is working out why the team exists, what is
its purpose, how to collaborate, solve for conflict and make
decisions as well as working on its dynamic to get at
- People are often promoted because of their individual
contribution and not for their teaming skills
- To address the gap we have to put attention on teams. Help
Leaders create the conditions that allow teams thrive. Call it and
or get external help if the capacity for teaming is weak or
- Develop a standard framework or model of team effectiveness
that can be scaled and measured. Great at illuminating landscape
data from which development can be a resource.
- Organisations have individual sophistication when it comes to
psychometrics and coaching but less so when it comes to Team
- Pedro has experienced Irish teams as very collegial but often
that collegiality can stand in the way of constructive dialogue. As
well there is too much focus on the now and not enough on Horizon
level 3 thinking
- Too much “vanilla” exists on Irish teams not enough or
sufficient diversity especially in terms of diversity of thought
risking a maintenance of the Status Quo.
- Pedro would love to see more inclusivity, much greater
challenge on teams, innovation and psychological
- To help a team think team a Leader needs to believe he needs a
team and ask for a
team. Too often a Leader is focused on his stalk of work or on
individual concerns to promote a team culture.
- We continue to promote people on individual performance and to
wit we often tie that performance to individual goals.
- Leadership Pathways are often constructed in a way that misses
the opportunity to provide real transitional leadership
- Enterprise Leadership thinking and skills are
- “Values are like posters” we could do better to nurture what is
important to an Individual and speak those to the teams of which
they are apart to appreciate what could be supportive and what
could detract from the team’s performance
- Covid-19 imposed a strict regime of virtual working and by and
large the Bank fared well. More is required to really support
Leaders in this domain. The Bank has provided guidebooks, toolkits
to support leaders get at continued engagement, motivation and
clarity in a virtual way. Pedro is not convinced they are doing
- In a context such as the Pandemic Clarity, Check-ins and Energy
is what is required. Energy means showing you care & are interested
in helping others manage their energy.
- Funny that people are suffering from Zoom fatigue. Maybe they
are but maybe the right level of energy and psychological safety is
- Leaders often assume they create high levels of psychological
safety but do they?
- It is sad that we have to hire external consultants to point
out what we are seeing already every day.
- Leaders need to take ownership for their part in the creation
of the culture where people are afraid to speak up.
- Pedro shared examples of where a Leader could disrupt high
levels of agreement when really disagreement could be
- Organisations keep rewarding A when they are asking for B
- We keep rewarding individual performance when we are looking
for team collaboration
- We need to stop promoting people for their technical competence
and solo runs
- We need to change the definition of what it means to be
promoted in organisations.
- We have to focus on the team as an entity and work on
incremental team norms of performance
- Everybody contributes to the team dynamic important to discuss
what it is
- Role of Leader to up the teams performance norm.
- Net Promoter Score is a valuable measurement often used
with Customers. It
could easily be used in teams as well
- Important for a team to think about its own context and to
share a purpose that is relevant to the team. Pedro asks teams to
think about their legacy and what they want to be known for and how
they would like to be seen. How are you going to be
- Pedro’s closing remarks were really a call to
- Be ruthless with measurement
- Go to where the team is at
- Teams work in context of an organisation alignment is key
- Teams evolve and are often fluid
- Don’t forget the complexity inherent on teams
- Too easy to think about changing the structure – look at the
practices get close to teams
- Simon Sinek: Together is better