Mar 19, 2019
Introduction: Jeff Turner is International
Director for Facebook working in Dublin, Ireland. He has spent over
20 years in L&D knowing that to be his professional home. He
has worked for a number of organisations including Lloyds Bank,
BOI, AOL and O2.
He holds a Masters in Performance Management from Leicester
University. He has spent the last eight or more years working with
Facebook. This conversation illuminated Jeff’s passion for Learning
and for making an impact. Facebook’s core philosophy internally is
to connect those who have something to teach with those who are
ready to learn, making learning Just in time, just enough and right
for the receiver.
Jeff discussed Facebook’s values, Focus on impact, Move fast, be
open and build social value. These values give freedom and
authenticity to team members and leaders.
Podcast episode summary: This episode describes
the role assumed by L&D professionals and their approach to
team development at Facebook. It also shares the research conducted
by Facebook of 24 Teams across EMEA showcasing the most pertinent
qualities/characteristics of high performing teams. The research
team along with the support of Professor David Clutterbuck
discovered eight characteristics, which were described in the show.
The following bullets highlight the conversation elements of this
- Change is a constant, people need to be out of their comfort
zones to learn and have an impact- his question “when was the last
time you volunteered to go outside of your comfort
- Teams are complex adaptive systems a pattern illuminated by
David Clutterbuck consultant to Facebook. Understanding this
concept can help teams be more connected and productive
- There is a big difference between team facilitation and one off
interventions and team development. Jeff and his team focus on the
latter to support teams
- There needs to be a modicum of tension for the team to get any
real value from an interventionist approach. “the truth lies in the
- Jeff and his team understand and appreciate that in order to be
of any value they need to be willing to be fired to do Team
- Jeff is cognisant of the degree of change his teams face and is
mindful that some team development methodologies are too linear to
- He sees team development to a process of working with the team
over 3-12 months and not a one off workshop or intervention
- Facebook conducted significant research on their HPTs ( High
Performing Teams) with the help of Professor David Clutterbuck. He
helped Facebook decode the essence of teams and determine
sauce” He named 8 distinct qualities that support success and
- He likened the 8 to a wheel with 7 spokes and a leaders
confidence at the centre. The seven spokes include,
Hiring the right people, managers and leaders setting goals at the
right level, a positive view of failure, working to individual
strengths, Trust that teams mean to deliver, change is like
breathing, Enjoyment for the work and the people and finally
confidence of the leader.
- Facebook does use a diagnostic for teams focusing on
3components, Purpose, People and Practices.
- Not all teams can access the service provided by L&D which
is why they have developed a sort of self service offering a
diagnostic and exercises as well as a repository online
- The L&D team at Facebook have developed their expertise to
support teams, they use their weekly meetings as places for
supervision and learning together.
Quotable Quotes: “You have to be willing to be
fired to do Team Development at FB”
“The truth lies in the tension” “Change is like
Resources: the following include the resources
we alluded to over the course of our conversation
- Reinventing Organisations by Frederic Laloux.